Embarking on a new "Adventure"

Things are about to change.  There, I said it.  I wrote it.  I accept it.....well, some days are better than others.

We are about to downsize.  As much as we like our house, it is time to move on.  We have our reasons for doing this.  I won't bore you with the excuses, right now anyway.  I also won't bore you with the past 2 or 3 months worth of roller coaster emotions involved in a decision of this magnitude. Suffice it to say, although I swore I wouldn't move again, we are moving.  Not far, just a few minutes away from our current neighborhood.  But for us, it may has well be another state.

What can I say?  We have become very rooted people.  We stay put.  We've decided to change that.

So, I might as well get on with it.



We are going to start a remodeling project on the "new" house.  It is a nice 1967 split level that is located in a little more urban area than we are used to.  The house has only had 1 owner, my in-laws, so we know where it's been.  My husband and his family moved into the house back in 1968 or 1969 or 1970 or....there is some debate on the year.  The lot is smaller than our current lot. The house is smaller than the big ass house (really too big for 2 people) in which we currently live. The appreciation rate is smaller.  The street is busier. But that's OK.  It will be more manageable.  That is what I'm telling myself.  My mantras: IT WILL BE MORE MANAGEABLE....oohhhhmmmm.....IT HAS FEWER STAIRS....oohhhhhmmmmm......UTILITY BILLS WILL BE LESS....oohhhhmmmm.....you get the idea.  I created mantras to convince myself of this decision. It will be a nice house for us. Well, after it is finished, anyway. Because although this awkward-ass house has been loved by the family since 1968 or 1969 or 1970, it has had minimal updates.  Scratch that....other than new carpet 16 years ago and a replaced HVAC unit along the same time,  and a roof here or there, it has had NO updates.  It is overwhelming.  However, the house has been kept in decent shape.  It has good bones, as my contractor, Sean Thornton, says.  I'm going to rely on his vision until progress is seen.  Because, I'll be honest, from where I sit, I'm having a tough time seeing its bones.  I just see dollar signs and stress.

The work should begin in March of 2015 in earnest.  Kitchen will be gutted.  Walls will come down. Carpet will come up.  We are going to spread our aesthetics all up in that house as far as our budget will allow.  And I shall write about it and share what I've learned along the way.

One more home improvement blog? One more Pinterest kitsch-fest?

Hey now, I'm just gonna let it be what it wants to be.  But yes, there will be Pinterest-able posts of kitsch and kitchens.

You'll survive.

Here we go......

Comments

Popular Posts