Finally found direction....

Girl riding a rooster. Copyright 2014 Marla Baxter Sanderson - SockOnARooster.com
I've had this little blog since September of 2010.  I could never quite figure out what to do with it.  As is typical with me, I come up with a name, an idea, but sometimes that is as far as it goes.  That is as far as this one has gone until now.

"Sock on a Rooster" is something my Grandmother (Dearie, to those who knew her) used to say.  She usually said it in reference to how some piece of clothing didn't fit well.  Example:  "Maaaalllaaa, that dress fits like a sock on a rooster." (insert Texas drawl thereby stretching out and eliminating the "r" in the Marla).  If I had to be honest, I never quite understood the expression totally.  I suppose a self respecting rooster would never be caught dead in a sock of any kind.
I remember many times when she would use this expression, I would think.....where is the sock on the rooster exactly?  On the rooster's feet?  On his body?  On his head?  Where would you put a sock on a rooster?  After examining myself in the mirror, and hearing her words hang in the air, I would agree that the particular garment didn't fit well. I supposed that as socks and roosters went, this dress on this body was a prime example of what she was talking about.  Or that was what I told myself when I was younger.  Because I never really stopped to ask her what it really meant.

As the years have flown by, I see the expression as having more to do with life itself.  Because many times life itself seems to fit like a sock on a rooster.  Sometimes incongruous. Many times uncomfortable.  But with all the bad parts of the "sock on a rooster" look, there should the really good parts of it.  How about the fact that if you saw a rooster walking down the street wearing a sock anywhere on its body, it would be downright HILARIOUS.  Sorry....but I dare you not to stop and whip out your cell phone camera for that shot.  SOCKS ON ROOSTERS are fucking funny.....I don't care who you are.

And that, my dear friends, is where I want this little blog to go.  I've had it up to my eyeballs in pissing and moaning about the tragedy, heartache, stress and bullshit I've been surrounded with.  Fuck it.  Time to move the hell on.  There will be cussing.  There will be pictures.  And there will be BIG ASS CHICKENS THAT WILL CUT YOU.  I highly recommend (The Bloggess) Jenny Lawson's blog post that inspired me to find my own BACTWCY (I will own one....by GOD!).

After reading Jenny's post years ago, it brought so much home.  Of course, that was after picking myself off the floor from laughing so hard.  Jenny is such a great writer.  She is such an inspiration.  But she is also an inspiration for folks who deal with depression.  She is open and honest about it, but she shows the world that guess what....you can deal with depression and still function and be fucking hilarious!  Yes, I have depression too.  And I deal with it.  But you know, we've all got some cross to bear.  Like I said, with this little blog, I prefer to look on the brighter side of life.....what's that?? Cue "Look on the Bright Side of Life" from the Life Of Brian....

So, stay tuned to more. Let's see what trouble I can find as time goes on. And, I do get quite busy. So if you are looking for an every day post, move along. I can't take the pressure.

Comments

Popular Posts